JOB TITLE : Head of Compliance, Lettings
REPORTING TO : Head of Business Compliance
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Compliance facilitates the management of Compliance and Risk.
The Compliance team ensures the establishment and maintenance of effective best practices which promote a commitment to compliance with Barbon Group standards and any other relevant regulatory requirements. The jobholder will work with other members of the team, the Compliance Director and with senior personnel within the business to achieve business and regulatory objectives.
He/she will be responsible for ensuring a consistent approach to compliance in each of the Lettings businesses by providing day to day support to the BCOs, accurate, suitable and timely advice to line management on Group standards and regulatory issues and ensuring effective implementation of internal control systems addressing compliance risk.
The primary focus of this role will be:
· Develop and manage the BCOs in each business unit within the Barbon Group Lettings operations.
· Ensure that Barbon policy, procedures and processes are implemented, operating effectively, regularly assessed and adhered to throughout the Lettings operations.
· Ensure the oversight, day to day management and control of the Appointed Representative population meets the expectations of the FSA.
The job holder will be based in one of the Lettings offices and the job holder will be expected to travel between all Lettings offices regularly and also make occasional visits to other Barbon locations.
KEY TASKS AND ACCOUNTABILITES : Typical KPIS and Targets
Impact on the Business
· To continually assess and reassess compliance risks within the business, taking into account changing economic, market and regulatory conditions and ensuring appropriate policies and procedures are in place.
· Advise all functions and management on compliance policy and procedures
· Address concerns from Barbon business areas and resolve problems
· Present periodic reports to management or any regulatory body, as required
· Undertake tasks as identified and/or as directed
· Ensuring that Annual Compliance Plans are completed for Lettings businesses within target timescales
· Address any areas of concern in conjunction with line management
· Reports completed within agreed timescales and in a format which meets FSA, Group and business needs
· Positive feedback
Customers / Stakeholders
· Maintain an effective relationship with staff within Barbon and Letsure businesses, assisting them to comply with the relevant regulations
· Identify and evaluate emerging trends, formulate and maintain policy and procedures and recommend solutions to the Compliance Director aimed at mitigating compliance risks and the potential cost of exposure to the Company
· Develop communication tools to disseminate & update management/staff on compliance initiatives, policies, procedures & regulatory updates
· Adopt a constructive approach to relationships
· Ensure understanding of the impact of risks / regulations
· Provide advice and updates on compliance matters
· Utilise business awareness to provide an effective service without problems
· Respond promptly to all requests
· Communicate clearly and effectively on the telephone, in person and in written communications
Leadership & Teamwork
· Develop and manage team of Lettings BCOs
· Support the Compliance Director and participate actively as a member of the Compliance Team.
· Deal with ad hoc tasks or projects as delegated by the Compliance Director
· Interact professionally with fellow team members
· Identify and foster opportunities for personal growth
· Identify and address issues as they arise
· Identify and foster opportunities for personal growth
· Ensure high standards are always achieved
· Contribute proactively and demonstrate initiative
· Tasks / projects completed satisfactorily
· Feedback from fellow team members & a positive team player
Operational Effectiveness & Control
· Assist in creating and maintaining a fully compliant environment within which the Lettings businesses operate
· Identify areas of weakness and/or risk and make / implement recommendations for change
· Report to senior management and ensure full investigation and resolution of all material and significant incidents or potential incidents / compliance issues
· Demonstrate effective time and workload management
· Prioritization of tasks and project work
· No justified complaints attributable to service
· Ad hoc examples of initiatives / support provided
· Communicate clearly and effectively
· Recommend improvements where non compliance is identified
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holder’s abilities, including the details of the extent of guidance and authority))
· The jobholder is required to provide day to day line management support to the compliance staff located in the business units enabling them to work effectively by promoting a string compliance and risk culture, developing and ensuring a consistent approach throughout and supporting the personal development of the individuals.
· Staying updated on the ever changing regulatory and market environment in order to identify, analyse, understand and prepare solutions for new regulatory risks
· Co ordination with other business and central support areas to ensure effective implementation of compliance and risk policy and procedures
· Ensuring that effective systems exist for the communication of compliance and risk
· Achieving full compliance with business and regulatory requirements whilst considering the need for business growth, good customer service and treating customers fairly
· The effective oversight and management of compliance/risk matters requires a good knowledge of the Lettings operations business (their detailed operations, the market in which they operate and the Barbon Group environment in which they exists), as well as a sound understanding of procedural requirements, internal control standards, external legal and regulatory requirements and the ability to use this knowledge to identify understand, assess and mitigate compliance risks facing the business.
· The regulatory environment is ever changing and, therefore the job requires a pro-active and innovative approach.
Education and Qualifications
· MS Office Advanced for Word
· MS Office intermediate for Excel
· MS Office intermediate for PowerPoint
Relevant professional qualification would be advantageous
Experience and Knowledge
· 5 years experience in a regulatory environment.
· Able to demonstrate knowledge of Treating Customers Fairly
principles and its application to the business.
· Previous experience of implementing new procedures and regulations
· Proven leadership skills and man management experience
· Previous experience in a customer facing role
Skills and Aptitudes
· Professional and forward-thinking
· Ability to gain support of staff and management through
pragmatic decision making and reasoned argument
· Able to propose practical ways of implementing regulations
· Ability to communicate positively and effectively
· Clear thinking and articulate
· Excellent organisational skills
· Polite, courteous, authoritative and assertive but sensitive to the requirements of colleagues
· Positive mental attitude/loyal, hardworking and honest
· Well organised with a flexible approach to work
· Reliable and able to adapt to changing circumstances
· Ability to work alone and as part of a team
· Ability to work effectively under pressure
· Willingness to travel regularly between Lettings locations